What’s With The Walkouts and Resignations?
You see it in the news and perhaps in your own shop. 4.3 million American workers quit their jobs in August alone. Workers are making a statement with their feet and you may be wondering why they’re doing that. Here’s a stab at a short list.
- People don’t want to go to work, get infected and die. However tired you may be of the pandemic (of course you are!), likely some of your people refuse to be vaccinated. That puts the rest of your people at risk and, humans that they are, they don’t like that.
- For four decades workers have put up with a lot of negative stuff, including stagnant wages, and there is a pent up, “I won’t take it any longer” vibe going on.
- There are millions of job openings and people are realizing that they don’t have to put up with a jerk of a boss or low wages or feeling disrespected and unappreciated.
- Did someone say “benefits”?
- “And, boss, I should trust you . . . why?”
There is more, of course, but review that list once again and see how your culture and how you treat your people are the keys. Aretha Franklin said it best:
“What you want, baby I got.
“What you need, you know I got it.
“All I’m asking, is a little R – E – S – P – E – C – T.”
Too Good Not to Share
Here’s a short list of things people say they changed because of COVID, originally from Buzzfeed.com, now courtesy of my friend John Howman, Vistage Group Chairman Extraordinaire:
- “I won’t commute to work one and a half hours each way, five days a week, so I can sit in my office and write emails and talk on the phone.”
- “I won’t go to work sick.”
- “I won’t treat my job title like it’s my family name.”
- “I won’t be eating birthday cake and blowing out candles: ‘Here, I exhaled heavily on this; please eat it.'”
- “I also will probably have a lifelong habit of sanitizing my hands every time I get back in the car.”
- “I won’t live in a city for my job.”
- “I won’t eat at a buffet. You can give me sneeze guards, face masks, hand sanitizer, and food handler gloves, and I will still pass it up!”
We’re all suffering from a bit of COVID PTSD, so let’s give others a break.
Invite Jack to Speak!
Whether it's a keynote presentation for your annual meeting or the industry convention, or the workshop for your leadership team, Jack delivers actionable content that goes down easy and delivers great value. Check into the possitilities here.